A quick cleanse to get you ready for Christmas
Christmas is just around the corner. And most of us over indulge a little (or a lot) whilst catching up with family and friends. But don’t lose heart. If you prepare your body for this, cleaning it out a little, you will not feel as guilty during this season and you might even be surprised that by feeling cleaner and lighter you indulge LESS!!! Also important for all the alcohol drinkers.
Occasionally we need to give our liver, gut, circulation and lymph glands a bit of a cleanse. They absorb a lot of toxins on in normal day to day living so sometimes we need to be kind to them. A detox will really help to rebalance them and help with a few good nights sleep before the party season really hits.
How Do I Detox?
- Before you start (1-2 weeks prior to detox), prepare yourself by eating a couple of spoonfuls of ground flax seeds soaked overnight in prune juice. This helps to get rid of any toxins from the colon.
- Make sure you eat 3 meals a day, plus 2 snacks if required (piece of fruit and a few almonds) to keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Keep it simple and make sure you eat a small amount of protein with each meal. These can include white meat (turkey is a great lean white meat) fish, eggs, nuts, seeds and shellfish. Try to eat 4-6 pieces coloured veg. Celery is a great one for detoxing, but potatoes and parsnips don’t count in this!
- Have a small amount of fat with each meal, this can be in the form of olive oil, coconut oil or butter.
- Drink lots of water, herbal teas or green tea.
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, processed food and caffeine. These cause a build-up of toxins and make the liver work really hard. It gives you headaches, bad breath, gas and fatigue.
- Gluten should also be avoided so try to opt for gluten-free alternatives.
Let’s Begin The Detox!
Follow this for 4-5 days
- First thing in the morning, do the bowel cleanse by eating the flax seeds that were soaked overnight in prune juice.
- During the day drink 3 smoothies and 1 protein shake. Alternatively, you can do 2 smoothies and 1 green soup.
- Don’t eat anything after 8 pm and only drink water or herbal teas.
- Drink 3 litres of fluid throughout the day of water or herbal drinks
Coconut yoghurt with fruit or fruit and vegetable smoothie
Thick veggie soup and add beans to bulk it up or a fruit and vegetable smoothie
Protein, vegetables, and a small amount of fat – keep it simple!
You should feel great and if you continue it for a week you will feel glowing! You’ll be ready to get this party started.